From Phat to Fit In Pictures - From 120 to 210 and Back to 130 & Healthy

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Portion Sizes

How many of us really know what a portion is?  Most of us don't, at least I know I didn't before I started tracking what I ate.  I never thought my portions were out of control-that is until I started paying attention.

Controlling how much we're eating is vital to being successful at losing weight.  But how much is a portion? Looking at labels it tells you how much a portion of any given food is, but would you know just how much that is?


















The best thing you can do for controlling your portions is to measure what you eat.

I keep on hand at home a scale, measure cups, and measuring spoons.  I always know just how much I'm eating so I can accurately log.

Tip #2 for controlling portion sizes:













Use a smaller plate, rather than loading up a full size dinner plate and risk over eating, eat off of a salad plate.

Not at home and can't measure it out here are guidelines to eyeballing what a portion is:


Breads, Grains, Rice, Cereal & Pasta: 
  • slice of bread or a 1/2 a bagel the size of a hockey puck
  • 1/2 cup pasta fills an ice cream scoop
  • 1/2 cup rice rills a cup cake wrapper
Fruits & Vegetables:
  • 1 serving of fruit or vegetable = a whole piece the size of a tennis ball
  • Or a 1/2 cup the size of a lightbulb
Protein-Meats:
  • 3 oz of meat = a deck of cards or a check book
Dairy Group:
  • 1 oz of cheese = 4 dice
Fats Oils & Sweets (Sparingly):
  • 1 teaspoon = Tip of your thumb
Nuts:
  • 1/4 cup = Golf ball or Large egg

sources:
http://www.nhlbisupport.com/chd1/Tipsheets/sevenways.htm

No comments:

weight loss ticker